Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What a weekend

Yes, I know.. It's Tuesday, BUT I'm getting better about posting things in a timely manner.  This past weekend was a whirlwind. I hardly felt like I had 2 days off of work. It was more like coming into work on Monday was a break from the weekend.. only not.
Here's what went down.

Remember how I told you that I had my first big event to bake for? Well it happened and I couldn't have stressed more.  There is so much pressure in coming through for something like that. I still want my bakery one day, but I'll need my partner to make it all happen.

I started Thursday night baking cakes. I got 3 done and wrapped up in the refrigerator and all the strawberries pureed.  I felt like this was good planning and that I had a good start. I was sort of wrong.  I started baking Friday evening after work around 6. I went to bed around 1:00 am and got up at 7:00 to put in the last pan of Pink Lemonade bars so they could cool before I had to leave at 10:00 10:30. I also had to finish the Butter Pecan Cakes. Cream cheese icing can be very tricky to work with. I made an extra batch of it Friday night to touch up the cakes Saturday morning. This was the best idea. I pretty much fluffed the icing with my spreader. I dipped the salted/roasted pecans in white chocolate for garnish. It really worked out well I though.

Here is what my fridge looked like at midnight...

I'm really pleased with how easy the icing technique was. You may have seen around these cakes that look like they are covered in roses. E.A.S.Y.  Just make sure you start from the center and swirl out. that is the trick. Then make them all touch as closely as possible. and it looks like this!

So I managed to get everything loaded into the car around 10:30. This was a major feat in itself since the pans I bought to carry the cakes in weren't wide enough for the boards the cakes sit on. I had to improvise.  Like any good Baptist, I pulled out the laundry baskets to hold the cakes for the 2 hour ride to Lake, MS. We made it without squishing, wrecking, dropping, or even eating the cakes.  Success.

Everyone was very excited to see the cake and said how good they looked. I was worried about the blue icing getting to hard to cut, but AT LEAST it held its shape and looked right.  What can I say? I'm a work in progress. 

I staged the cakes and met the family and Bride and Groom to be. They were just so cute and you could tell they were so excited to be getting married. I was happy to be part of this small experience.

Congratulations Lauren & Quinton!
March 10, 2012

My next adventure over the weekend was engagement pictures with my oldest friend, Danielle. She decided to use my dear friend, Heather to take the photos for her. We made an entire day of it driving down to Laurel from Starkville in the morning and taking pictures all day.  I think she got close to 800 total! :0    It was so much fun acting as a creative director of sorts. Heather was so gracious to let me be so involved in her shoot. I can't wait to see how they turn out!  I don't have any pictures to show you just yet, but hopefully, once Danny gets her preview, she'll spare me one to share with you all to show off Heather's hard work. Stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment